You can use the ‘print’ or ‘PDF’ buttons above to create a PDF version of this page to print or email to your friends.
DofE Expedition Supervisors’ Training
February 24 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£25.00
|What?||Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Expedition Supervisor Training Course|
|When?||24 February 2018|
|Where?||North East England Region office in York|
|Who for?||Adults supervising DofE expeditions|
A supervisor’s training course is available for all those involved in supervising DofE expeditions. For those new or relatively new to supervising it is invaluable. Whilst not currently compulsory it is a very useful course for any expedition supervisor. More experienced supervisors will also find it useful as consolidation of their knowledge, and the opportunity to discuss issues with other supervisors. The next of these courses is being held at Girlguiding North East England HQ, Monks Cross, York on 24 February 2018, from 10am – 4pm. The cost will be £25 to include lunch. Uniform/guidewear will be worn.
The following gives a summary of what is covered. If you have any further questions about the course please contact Isabel Woodland via the Region office.
The Expedition Supervisor Training Course covers:
- Understanding the role of the expedition supervisor, Assessor and other adults involved in the delivery of the Expedition section.
- Understanding the process of remote supervision.
- Understanding the importance of emergency procedures.
- Understanding the duty of care held by the supervisor.
A supervisor must have a good level of knowledge in three areas:
- DofE knowledge; including a full understanding of the requirements of the expedition section and the importance of remote supervision.
- Technical skills; including skills in the method of travel, navigation, camp craft and first aid.
- People skills; including the ability to work well with both young people and other adults in a supportive manner.
This training course covers the first of these areas.
To ensure that those attending the Expedition Supervisor training course are able to gain the maximum benefit there are a number of pre-requirements. These are:
- Have completed the DofE’s e-induction and has a letter of completion
- Have been approved by their Operating Authority/AAP to attend the course – you need to complete and return the course application (see below under “How to apply”).
- Have sufficient technical competence in the level of country they will be operating in to undertake the practical elements of the course i.e. basic navigation and camp craft skills.
Note: In Girlguiding all supervisors must hold the appropriate level of walking qualification for the terrain in which they are supervising.
How to apply
Bookings are taken on our website through our online booking form. In booking onto this event you accept the Booking Terms and Conditions for DofE Supervisors Training
No bookings will be taken after 9 February 2018.
You also need to complete a DofE Supervisors Application Form 2018.
If you have any questions regarding this event please contact the Region office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, give us a call on 01904 676076.
We are also running a DofE Assessor training on 28 April 2018, you can find more information about this event here