You can use the ‘print’ or ‘PDF’ buttons above to create a PDF version of this page to print or email to your friends.
Girlguiding North East England Walking Weekend – 25-27 October 2019 – Online bookings now closed but if you are interested please ring the office we may be able to get you onto the weekend
October 25 - October 27Free – £110.00
|What?||The weekend for those wishing to do Girlguiding Level 1 walking (training and assessment in one weekend), Level 2 training, Level 2 assessment or social walking.|
|When?||25-27 October 2019|
|Where?||Based at Osmotherley Youth Hostel, North Yorkshire, DL6 3AH|
|Who for?||Adult members|
Girlguiding North East England is holding its annual autumn walking weekend in North Yorkshire and we look forward to welcoming you to develop your skills in leading walks. All members of Girlguiding from Rainbows upwards can enjoy getting out into the countryside, and if you develop your skills, the girls in your units will benefit.
The weekend can offer you
- Level 1 training and assessment in a weekend
- Level 2 training
- Level 2 assessment – in order to be assessed you MUST have already attended a Level 2 training weekend
- Social walking – you may use the Hotel as a base to plan your own social walks with others
- We are also offering Water Safety training on the Friday afternoon if enough people are able to attend. This is compulsory for all levels of the Girlguiding walking scheme, though only needs to be done once to count for all levels. If you want to do the Water Safety training please buy a Water Safety ticket in addition to your main ticket – the training is at no additional cost.
We will be based at the beautiful Osmotherley Youth Hostel, Cote Ghyll Mill in North Yorkshire. Osmotherley is on the western edge of the North York Moors, so has good access to moorland for Level 2 training and assessment, but closer to the village there are lovely walks in woods and fields for those doing Level 1. There is even a teashop in the village for those looking for refreshment after their social walks.
The price of the weekend includes 2 nights’ accommodation indoors at Osmotherley Youth Hostel and all meals from Friday evening to Sunday lunchtime. Transport to and from the event is not included but lifts to/from Northallerton Station might be possible – please contact email@example.com if you would like to arrange this.
What do I need?
If you would like to do the Level 1 or 2 training or assessment, you will need to supply your own:
- Copy of the Girlguiding Walking Scheme booklet, downloadable from the Girlguiding website here
- OS map, number OL26 North York Moors (Western Area) plus map case or a waterproof version
- Compass (eg Silva Expedition 4 Compass would be ideal, otherwise this must have 360° on it)
- Level 2 participants will also need a headtorch suitable for finding the way in the dark (eg Petzl Tikkina)
DON’T FORGET your 20% GGUK discount in Cotswold, if you are a DofE Member you can also claim discount at Go Outdoors (Some stores at the Managers’ discretion may still give you a discount as a member of Girlguiding even though we don’t have an official partnership with the store any more – just ask!)
Do I qualify for help with financing this weekend?
- Qualification Bursaries are available from Girlguiding North East England, the application form and more details can be found here.
- If you are planning on using your qualification (Levels 1 or 2) to train/supervise DofE groups you may be eligible for funding for the DofE Diamond Fund which is available for those who live in or may be doing DofE training/supervision with girls who live in a deprived location. To know if you qualify please have a look here – Definition of disadvantaged – DofE Girlguiding North East England
How to apply
Bookings are now open and being taken through our online booking form below. If there are no tickets available for the option you wish to select please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as we may be able to allocate you a ticket that is currently available in another category.
By booking onto this event you are agreeing to the Booking Terms and Conditions for Region Walking Weekend 25-27 October 2019
You can pay by card, bank transfer or cheque, just select the option at check out.
The deadline for bookings will be 8 September 2019. Late applications will then only be considered if the Hostel has room and there are sufficient instructors to keep group sizes small.
If you have any questions regarding this event please contact the Region office by emailing email@example.com. Alternatively, give us a call on 01904 676076.