You can use the ‘print’ or ‘PDF’ buttons above to create a PDF version of this page to print or email to your friends.
- This event has passed.
Region walking group – June
- Name of walk: Keld to Tan Hill circular
- Date and time: Saturday 15 June 2019; meet 9.45 for 10.00am departure
- Meeting point: Keld Village Car Park NY892012, map OL30, Yorkshire Dales, Northern and Central
- Approximate length of walk/difficulty level: 5km, level 3 ,moderate walking total height gained 606m
- Details: This walk from Keld starts with a visit to some of the waterfalls in the Keld valley. Keld itself is an Old Norse word for Spring. There are some lovely views (weather permitting) of Keld and upper Swaledale before climbing via Witsundale to Robert’s Seat. From here, we cross open country which gives a real sense of the bleakness and isolation of the North Pennines area, with views across to the Nine Standards Rigg – a reference to Roman Armies marching past. Once at the Tan Hill Inn we turn and come back on a shorter route to Keld, via the Pennine Way. There are public toilets in Keld.
For details on how to take part please download the walking sheet.