Postcards From Amsterdam is an international event hosted by Girlguiding North East England for Guides, Rangers, 18-30 members, Leaders and Trefoil. This will take place in Amsterdam on Saturday 19 February 2022.
Download and print this page: Information Sheet
With world-class museums, quirky canals and colourful houses, there’s never a shortage of things to do in Amsterdam! There are over 800,000 bicycles, picture-perfect canals and endless opportunities to learn about heritage. Floating along the canals by guided boat tour is a great way to get under the fabric of the city, and you’ll learn lots of fascinating facts along the way. Explore art galleries, museums, historic neighbourhoods and the Prinsengracht house where diarist Anne Frank and her family hid from the Nazis for two years. Meandering through the beautiful and varied streets is a free way to see the real Amsterdam and stumble across the unexpectedly beautiful architecture. And, if you weren’t already convinced: Amsterdam is renowned for its pancakes and creperies!
Find out more: Lonely Planet Amsterdam
The North East England event itself will be a wide game held on Saturday 19 February 2022 in the centre of Amsterdam. Working in patrols, the wide game will give you the opportunity to explore the city and its famous sights, whilst completing challenges to earn points. We’re putting activities ranging from dancing, eating and making to treasure hunting. You will be sent further information about the programme outline once you have booked on, in advance of the event. The cost of this part of the event is £30, you will also need to pay for your own travel, food, accommodation, and any other extra travel costs you may decide to spend.
Badge design competition:
We’d like your help designing the Postcards from Amsterdam badge that everyone who attends or takes part in the challenge based around the event will recieve!
Please check out the guidelines below and the downloadable badge competition template:
• The badge should be rectangular in shape – like a postcard!
• The badge must include the trefoil, in its own space and not as a part of a different shape on the badge.
• Somewhere on the badge it must say ‘Girlguiding North East England’ and ‘Postcards from Amsterdam’.
• Please use a maximum of 5 different colours and try to make use of the Girlguiding colours.
• Take inspiration by finding out more about Amsterdam or Dutch culture and think about all the fun you have in guiding!
• Please do not use any brand logos or names, your section or your unit’s name.
The competition is open from July 13 until October 23 2020 and to enter you should send your design to ‘email@example.com’.
Read more in our info booklet and FAQs